Social & Inclusive Business Camp calls on African entrepreneurs –
Created by Campus AFD (Agence Française de Développement), The Social & Inclusive Business Camp (SIBC) officially opened applications for this year’s program. Innovative African entrepreneurs are encouraged to apply for the program as it aims to stimulate the growth of the continent’s ecosystem.
Campus AFD is committed to supporting African social entrepreneurs with its unique program. This can be displayed among 200 African business leaders who have grown their businesses through the assistance and essential information provided by the Social and Inclusive Business Camp of the AFD Campus.
Applications are open until July 3, 2021
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by July 3, 2021. Selected applicants will be notified and will participate in the program which is expected to start in early August. The bootcamp and the Emerging Valley Summit will begin in early December 2021.
The SIBC program
Although the program has a strong training focus, the added benefit for each participant is the three-pronged mentoring and networking environment it provides.
Selected participants will participate in inventive training sessions, build long-term relationships with their mentors and stakeholders within the ecosystem, and network with other companies and funders.
SIBC seeks to connect alumni and existing Pan-African mentors, not only to future entrepreneurs, but to each other, thereby creating strategic partnerships, opportunities and connections. Peer-to-peer learning is the second part of this approach and the third is the creation of funding opportunities at the Emerging Valley Summit.
SIBC begins with three months of online learning that focuses on four key themes: leadership and team building, scale up, readiness and impact measurement.
Additionally, participants will attend a week-long in-person training camp in Marseille, France, where they will meet and interact with mentors from previous camps who have stepped up or raised funds for their businesses. The Emerging Valley Summit takes place during this week, where interns delve deeper into the themes and meet potential investors and partners to pitch their projects.
Application criteria and process
Prerequisites required to participate:
- The candidate representing the company, called “the applicant” or “the candidate”, must be a founder, co-founder, manager or at least able to take strategic decisions for the company;
- The candidate must ensure that he has sufficiently stable internet access to be able to follow the training and exchange sessions under good conditions;
- The candidate should be able to allocate time to the program from September to early December 2021, at the rate of approximately 2 hours per week over this period
The company must:
- Be a legally registered business;
- Justify a positive impact in Africa – have a social or environmental impact or serve / work with vulnerable populations (women, children, people with disabilities, etc.) and / or create jobs for these populations;
- Justify first customers, a turnover and a balanced economic model or a medium-term profitability objective;
- Have a desire for growth and present a scaling strategy, taking into account the maximization of social or environmental impact.
Download and complete the file from the official application site. You must provide:
- An application file to fill out (questions about the project leader, the company, its structure, its impact and its scaling-up strategy)
- Proof of the legal registration of the company (reference document, articles of association, etc.)
- Financial statements for the last 3 years
- A detailed CV of the project manager
- A pitch deck or a presentation of your company (optional)
Last year, 40 mentors met future business leaders at the Emerging Valley Summit. With a large number of experts in various fields from across the African continent, this year’s SIBC promises to be an opportunity not to be missed.
Read more: Cape-based tech start-up secures Rand 42 million
Read more: Absa opens sourcing portal to streamline supplier diversity
The selected image: Lagos Techie via Unsplash